The long wait is finally over! I know I owe this to everyone. I'm now giving my own in-depth review on the Encara BB Cream. [Warning: SUPER LONG BUT INFORMATIVE POST =') hehe]
Back when I first heard about BB Creams around the last quarter of 2009, from my sister - Ate Myra, I was very skeptic. I've always loved to try new products but when I first tried one, I wasn't very sure. I only started learning about Youtube's beauty community at that time and there were not much anything about it.
So a lot of my friends ask me, what really is a BB Cream?
BB means Blemish Balm. The BB Cream craze started around that time so since no one in YT was saying anything on it, I immediately going to Mr. Google to find out what it is. I learned that it was actually invented by a German doctor decades ago to help heal patients' skin who underwent laser procedures and surgeries.
It was popularized in South East Asia when Korean actresses started endorsing products formulated for the commercial market.
In early 2010, Ate Myra gave me a tub (yes a tub, like the ones used for hair wax treatments that you buy at Watson's, haha!) filled with a nude-yellowish liquid-y cream that looked like a liquid foundation. She said it was from a Korean manufacturer who asked her to distribute and market a new product called Encara BB Cream.
I've been road-testing this product ever since and at first, it was a love-hate relationship. But after a long time of using Encara, I am now completely in-LOVE with it. hehe!
Enough for the very long intro and let us get to the actual review. =)
product name: Encara BB Cream - Perfect Cover Blemish Balm (50g)
Manufactured by Woosin Cosmetics Co., Ltd. (same manufacturer of the popular brand Skin Food)
- Highly moisturizing. It prevents dry skin, making it soft and smooth.
- Whitens skin. It contains whitening agent to lighten skin.
- Conceals unwanted facial areas. It acts as concealer for dark spots, under eye circles, baggage, etc.
- Make-up Foundation. It acts as a foundation by preparing the skin for makeup and creating a flawless finish.
- Sun Protection (SPF 20)
- Pearl Extract, Ginseng Extract
- Ideal for dry or oily skin
- Anti-aging and moisturizing effect
- Sweat and water resistant
What I LOVE about it...
This 50g Encara BB Cream has a matte-black tube packaging with a shiny brown screw-cap. It's boxed with a pretty metallic silver carton. Pretty! =)
I love that the tube is upside-down. It is very easy to release the product when you're almost out since it's just flowing down. At first though, you need to be careful in pressing the tube. I've had a couple of spills when I so excitingly pressed hardly. Make sure to press the tube lightly. You only need a little amount, anyways.
A new and unopened tube is sealed to ensure freshness. =)
What I LOVE about it...
- It's an all-in-one product: skin care, makeup, concealer, sun protection.
- I used to have very dry skin and through its highly moisturizing formula, my skin has improved and has now a more supple and fresh look and feel. This of course resulted from regular use.
- I am not a fan of whitening products because I am in love with my morena skin. =)) But this product has given me a lightening glow of youthful fresh skin.
- I am also acne-prone. I get those irritating zits when it's that time of the month. I noticed that with regular use of this product, those zits quickly heal. And the pimple marks? Gosh! The dark spots are all lightening. I wish I had not stopped using this last year when I was experimenting on my skin care regimen and testing out other brands.
- I swear I super love using it for my under eyes. It acts as a highlighting concealer. My dark under eye circles instantly lighten up without actually looking like makeup. It is very lightweight and feels like your skin is fully hydrated. If only my dry and dark under eyes could speak, I know they'd thank me for it. haha! It's amazing yellow undertone helps correct the discoloration on my skin. It gives me enough coverage that makes me look awake and fresh even if I had not gotten any sleep.
- Using it on the t-zone, and on the lips' cupid bow portion preps your skin for a highlight that gives off a dewy fresh look, not shiny.
- Since it is also very blendable, I could have the privilege to mix it with a cream concealer or even a liquid or cream foundation to achieve a shade color that I need. I especially use this technique on clients.
- One tube has lasted me for over a year. I only need a small amount to use for my whole face. After application, I let it sit for at least a minute and I use any powder to set it if I want a more matte look.
Now, let me share with you a hand-swatch of Encara BB Cream.
My right hand has an 18-y.o keloid. That's where I often swatch out cosmetic products at the mall. I immediately identify which foundation or concealer does the job in terms of coverage since I have this skin discoloration and so I learned to love it. Looking at the brighter side of things. hehe ;)
This is after lightly blending the product. You will notice it's yellow tone and it's shade is most certainly far from my morena skin. But it's smooth texture allows me to blend it very easily. It has medium-full coverage and you could definitely build it up to your liking.
See the difference? After fully blending the Encara BB Cream at the right half of my left hand, you could clearly see how my skin naturally smoother and glowing without being shiny. This is just Encara BB Cream alone but you will notice that the half part of my scar where it was applied has lightened immediately.
The yellow-tone characteristic of this BB Cream helps the skin to hide imperfections without looking ashy or ghastly if you are to compare it with other brands. You only need to blend it lightly well and it will almost look like your own skin, especially if you give it a little time to set and let its nutrients sip in.You will also notice how the difference is subtle but the coverage is there.
What you should remember:
- BB Creams have SPF, thus giving off a white cast on photos. Although, for Encara BB Cream, I've experienced very minimal amount of white casts. I can be easily blended them off since I am fond of using matte bronzers. Plus, you need to remember that less is more. Make sure to start with a small amount to apply onto your face and build up if you feel like you need more. =)
- When I want to use it as a concealer, I dot the area and "tap" it lightly. This allows the product to cover the area as well as heal it.
- You may use your clean bare hands or a brush to apply it. For personal use, I prefer using my hands. I squeeze a small amount on my fingertips, then apply it on my under eyes, t-zone, cheeks, sides of my nose, chin and cheeks. I blend them well and extend onto my neck.
- Encara BB Cream has only 1 shade. But you may mix it to any foundation of your choice. You may apply it beforehand to prep your skin or directly mix it with your foundation. I sometimes mix it with darker shades to perfectly match my more morena clients' skin tone.
- It's finish on the skin is dewy and natural. If you are not into dewy type of face products, this may not be for you. But you can opt to use a matte powder to set it.
- This product alone could last up to 4-6hours. Setting it with powder helps it to last longer. I both used loose or pressed powders, whatever is at hand.
- This is actually a skin care product so it helps nourish your skin with it's ingredients.
- It does have a scent - a clean, fresh scent of some sort. I am most of the time sensitive about scents but this never bothered me about Encara BB Cream. I actually like it.
- BB Creams are widely used as makeup because of their coverage, but I suggest that you still wash them off before you go to sleep. You need to make sure to give your skin time to rest.
- Those with oily skin-types could still benefit from this. Some of those who've tried it were worried at first. But with regular use, you will notice your skin feeling less greasy. Dry or oily, you will notice that your skin will look and feel healthier.
Where to get yours?
Price: Php 499.00 NOW on 50% OFF. Original price retails at Php 999.00
Visit my Facebook makeup page at Makeup by Aila Apolo.
Visit my Facebook makeup page at Makeup by Aila Apolo.
I KNOW this is a very long post, but I really hope that this has been helpful to you. I've been working on this post for the longest time because I want it to be very detailed. If I still missed out on anything or if you have any other questions, feel free to write them on the comments section below. Thanks! =)